To work in film or television in New York, minors (ages 17 and under) must have a valid NY Child Performer Work Permit. 

What to bring to the shoot date: children must have their valid New York Child Performer work permit and trust account info, as well as ID (for example: a birth certificate OR Social Security Number card AND report card or medical record OR an unexpired US Passport).

For a costume fitting, the child must bring valid ID, but the permit does not need to be presented until the first day of work.  Don't give production original work permit. Please bring a copy.

First-time applicants may apply on-line by visiting:

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on APPLY under "15-day permit" for first-time applicants or “12-month” for permit renewals. You will be asked to create a username and password for a NY Labor Department online account before applying online for the permit.

Fill out all the required information and print out the 15-day temporary permit immediately. The “12-month” permit can take up to four-five business days to process. You can only obtain the 15-day permit once. After it expires, you must obtain a 12-month permit for your child to continue working in Film and TV.

New York State law requires all children who work in film and television to have a locked trust account [UTMA (Uniform Transfers to Minors Act) or UGMA (Uniform Gifts to Minors Act) account]. You must have this type of account for your child. You must supply account information to the production’s payroll company as well as the New York State Department of Labor within 15 days of your child working. (You do not need to provide paper work regarding a trust account the first time you apply online. It must be presented before the expiration of the 15-day permit.) The account should be able to receive direct deposits and should only be accessible to the child upon his or her 18th birthday.